Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The 5 Minute Rule

It was the last week of January--just a few days before Big Dude asked me to be his girlfriend. He was working as a paraprofessional in the PE department at our high school. I was home with a very sad, teething boy.  Suddenly, a little red car pulls into the driveway... BD had come for a quick little visit during some downtime at the school!  What a lovely gift in the middle of a rough day for this Mommy! It was that afternoon that he made the 5 minute rule, "If I can't see you for at least 5 minutes a day, something's wrong."  I didn't know it yet, but this man is a man of his word... Sure enough, since that afternoon, we see each other for at least 5 minutes every day (unless one of us is out of state). 

I love that. I love that I can depend on that. 

Last night, I almost broke the 5 minute rule!  We both had work and then post work activities. He was going to be home first so we arranged that I would stop by on my way home from rehearsal.... 9pm rolled around and I got a text... "We're you stopping over?" I texted back, "Still at rehearsal." 

I called when we got out... and woke him up. Oops!  We chatted briefly about our days and I told him he should go back to sleep... he said, "You still stopping by?" :-)  He still wanted to see me. The baby was with me and soooo sleepy so I said, "Sure, for 5 minutes." 

I pulled in. He met me at my car. I got out and he came towards me for a hug but at the same time, I said, "Boy's awake." He opened the door, asked, "am I taking him out?" realized the better of it and just gave him a quick smooch. Then...it was my turn. His eyes were filled with delight. He gave me the sweetest squeeze, a few kisses, and asked about my schedule "tomorrow."  

The 5 minute rule... Genius. 

(From that same week! Go Bellringers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment